[c-nsp] Cisco IPSec/VPN + DNS - Issue

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Mon Sep 14 10:32:16 EDT 2009

On Monday 14 September 2009 07:51:40 pm Alan Buxey wrote:

> Hi,

Hello Alan.

> I'd turn on full debugging on your client end and for
> your client at the server end and see exactly what event
> goes on just after those 10 minutes.

Already turned on the debug for the client on my end, but
nothing that means anything.

I'll try on the server end - the hour could be un-godly,
though, as it terminates a couple of folk from work :-).

> I wonder if its a
> timeout of somekind - eg perhaps DHCP renew and your
> system is being given a DNS server that it cant talk to
> when VPN is running

The public address is always static for the duration of the
session. It's assigned from a pool configured on the router.

There's only 2 DNS servers pushed to the clients when they
connect, and both are reachable from the router and the
subnet it assigns to the clients.

Will let you know if anything interesting pops up on the
router.

Cheers,

Mark.