[c-nsp] Cisco VPN Client Causes Mac OS X Crash - Update!

Nick Hilliard nick at inex.ie
Mon Sep 14 16:17:54 EDT 2009

On 14/09/2009 19:29, Mike Andrews wrote:
> Kind of a side note here, but Apple now ships a Cisco-compatible IPSec
> client as part of Snow Leopard. In System Preferences -> Network, if you
> add a new connection, and pick VPN as the type, "Cisco IPSec" is now one
> of the choices... where previously only PPTP and L2TP-over-IPSec were.
> Makes sense, as they've been shipping a similar client in the iPhone for
> a while now.

Oh, so it does!  Sweet.  Well, that's VPN Client in the trash can and zero
applications which tie me to a 32 bit kernel, except maybe a usb->serial
driver.  Very cool.

> It may not have 100% feature parity (and I don't know if it supports
> IPv6), but it's close enough for us, and allowed me to uninstall Cisco's
> IPSec client that was causing frequent panics on boot for me under Leopard.

I'll have a look at ipv6 connectivity at some stage.  VPN Client doesn't
support it, so it's not like lack of support would lose anything, but as
the OS/X ipsec stack is KAME based, it should support ipv6 if the vpn
concentrator does.

Nick