[c-nsp] Cat 4948 NAT support

Rodney Dunn rodunn at cisco.com
Tue Sep 15 09:19:23 EDT 2009

The real issue with NAT today is ALG processing and scale.

My motto is if you are not going to sign up for full support in hardware
on a box that can scale to 1+ Mpps don't bother half baking it.

I deal with a customer about once per week where they tried something
like this.

The ASR1k (no I don't work for that BU) has it right. They do it all in
the FP (translation setup, ALG, etc.) with no punts.

That's why the 6k doesn't scale even though it "inherited" NAT from the
code base.

Rodney