[c-nsp] Help with unique BGP setup

Lobo lobotiger at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 08:40:40 EDT 2009

We're trying to do a custom bgp setup for one of our customers but I'm
not sure if it's even possible with IOS.  Our network has its primary
upstream connection in a different city from where this customer will
connect.  However each city has its own local internet connection as
well for backup purposes.  The market that this bgp customer is to be
turned up on uses the local isp connection as its primary due to
capacity issues on the intercity going back to the core city.

This customer's requirements for bandwidth can be met if they use the
local connection only but should the connection go down, they would most
likely saturate the intercity connection and impact everyone else.  What
has been proposed is that they will use the local connection to get
internet access and should this access go down, they want the bgp
session to be dropped or something equivalent that will make sure they
don't go over the intercity.

To my knowledge I know of no configuration that can drop a bgp session
based on some next hop attribute.  Is there some way to control this
customer's traffic as stated above?  Any examples you guys can offer?

Thanks.

Jose