[c-nsp] Need a switch suggestion for upgrade

Scott Granados gsgranados at comcast.net
Wed Sep 16 12:03:58 EDT 2009

Hi List,
Presently I have two foundry FI400 switches in the core that provide layer 3
functionality as well.  I'm serving about 20 access switches and a few
virtual machine hosts in an enterprise environment with approximately 50
VLANS.  We're outgrowing this and also since it's older hardware new
firmware / features are hard to come by as well as support.;)  What would be
a good Cisco product to replace these?  The big things I'm interested in are
layer 3 routing (very simple mostly static) good multicast support (this
customer is an IPTV developer) and decent gig port dencity (say 48 ports of
gig or more)  Would a 4500 series fit the bill here or should I consider
something else.  Someone familiar with Cisco switching products who has some
good pointers please contact me.

Thank you
Scott