[c-nsp] RSP720-3CXL - 512k ipv4 route capacity ?

Brandon Applegate brandon at burn.net
Wed Sep 16 14:19:15 EDT 2009

I'm pretty sure either I'm not understanding something architecuture-wise
or we've enabled something globally that halves this.  The marketing sheet
says this will do 1M ipv4 routes.  My show commands lead me to believe our
systems will only do 512k.  Not a problem today (for full internet) but I
would like to understand.  We are doing ipv4 only, some MPLS, nothing
earth-shattering.  The command and output that leads me to post this is:

router# sh platform hardware capacity forwarding

<snip>

  Module              FIB TCAM usage:                     Total        Used     %Used
    1                     72 bits (IPv4, MPLS, EoM)      524288      293721     56%
                         144 bits (IP mcast, IPv6)      262144            8      1%

</snip>

This is half of the rated max for the 3CXL and double that of the 3C.  We
are running ES+ line cards but we have some CFC-based cards in it as well.
So my operating mode is still:

router# sh platform hardware pfc mode
PFC operating mode : PFC3CXL

Thanks in advance for any info.