[c-nsp] "Enhanced" download procedure

Kevin Graham kgraham at industrial-marshmallow.com
Thu Sep 17 15:21:57 EDT 2009

> This wouldnt be such a problem if folks in the know could use nice standardized
> methods such as FTP or lynx compatible HTTP to download what they want,
> regardless of which download method of the day is currently in effect.

Indeed. I have several of these odd "network devices" (they don't The Windows or
The Java) that I occasionally need to pull updates from directly from "Cisco"
from. Until last week, in a pinch I could download software images directly, since
it supported "standard protocols" and didn't need a custom application for file
transfers.

> Perhaps cisco is trying to address a perceived problem with getting people who
> may not be in the know to do security updates.

Wonderful. Perhaps they could address that by providing a user-friendly java app
that could be downloaded via the http server on their devices. This could help
encourage Secure Device Management and include configuration advice as well.

If for some reason that's unpalatable, maybe these updates could be recommended
by devices implementing some kind of Smart Call Home interface.

For "people not in the know", their comfort level might be helped if device had
supported Modularity, so it could be hot-patches without requiring monolithic
updates.

> Perhaps the larger issue is the terminology shift - "Shopping Cart" implies
> purchasing.

If this needed to be supported, maybe there could be Universal images per
device with a Cisco License Manager and a Software Activation feature.

(Awareness of other internal organizations and interest in providing consistent
solutions is lacking across the board at Cisco and not just specific BU's).