[c-nsp] Assistance configuring a router to trigger remote blackhole

Naveen Nathan naveen at lastninja.net
Fri Sep 18 01:37:04 EDT 2009

> Does a 'sh ip route' for the /32 indicate that its being redistributed?
> If you do a 'sh ip bgp nei <nei> adver' does it show it being advertised?

Below I pasted excerpts from the router. The route appears to be
redistributed by the correct route-map. The STATIC-TO-BGP map proceeds
to set the community string, while the OUTBOUND route-map matches on the
same community string to advertise over BGP along with the networks. But
as displayed with the 'sh ip nei <peer> advertised-routes' it's not
displaying the host routes.

I'm wondering if I missed something in the OUTBOUND route-map to
not match host-routes. It appears you cannot match tags for
route-maps used for advertising to peers, so I match on the community
string instead.

I also have send-communities configured for the upstream peer, so I
believe the community string should be retained for the route when the
OUTBOUND route-map is evaluated.

--- snip ---

# sh ip route [IP_IN_BLOCK_A]
Routing entry for [IP_IN_BLOCK_A]/32
  Known via "static", distance 1, metric 0 (connected)
  Tag 666
  Redistributing via bgp [ROUTER_AS]
  Advertised by bgp [ROUTER_AS] route-map STATIC-TO-BGP
  Routing Descriptor Blocks:
  * directly connected, via Null0
      Route metric is 0, traffic share count is 1
      Route tag 666

# show ip bgp neighbors [UPSTREAM_IP] advertised-routes
BGP table version is 8, local router ID is [ROUTER_IP]
Status codes: s suppressed, d damped, h history, * valid, > best, i - internal,
              r RIB-failure, S Stale
Origin codes: i - IGP, e - EGP, ? - incomplete

   Network          Next Hop            Metric LocPrf Weight Path
*> [BLOCK_A]/21  [ROUTER_IP]            0    150      0 i
*> [BLOCK_B]/22  [ROUTER_IP]            0    150      0 i
*> [BLOCK_C]/22  [ROUTER_IP]            0    150      0 i

Total number of prefixes 3