[c-nsp] HSRP/multicast help

Dale W. Carder dwcarder at wisc.edu
Fri Sep 18 10:13:26 EDT 2009

On Sep 18, 2009, at 3:04 AM, Alexander Clouter wrote:

> I personally remove the standby priorities from the VLAN configs as
> the
> 'active' router will be the one with the higher IP address...which is
> *also* the rule for PIM.
>
> What is probably happening is the PIM router for the subnet is your
> standby router and you are being hit with a lot of reverse path
> filtering issues[1].

Also, in addition to the higher ip address tiebreaker, you can
set the DR priority:

primary:
  ip pim dr-priority 4294967294

standby:
  ip pim dr-priority 2147483647  (or whatever)

This is very helpful if someone attaches a pim speaking device
and your ip addresses are at the bottom of the range rather than
the top.

Dale