[c-nsp] Metro E best practices

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Sat Sep 19 19:50:46 EDT 2009

Richey, I am very sorry. My response is not typical of my normal actions.

I've had a significant tragedy happen, and I completely took it out on
you. This is no excuse, but nonetheless.

 There are no words that can describe how bad that I feel. If words
could describe it, they would be "ashamed", "embarrassed" and "loss of
respect for myself". I still can't believe that I acted in such a way in
front of all of my peers. Instead of hiding, I thought I'd respond and
learn a little about humility, and being humble.

> I did some searches but
> most everything I keep turning up is marketing speak.

Indeed.

> As to re-tasking some
> routers that are no longer in use, are you kidding me?  Am I the only one
> that finds it wasteful to take a perfectly good box and change it's role?

No, you are not. I've done the same thing, and I still do.

> I was looking for some best practices, not how to do it,  hence the "Best
> Practices" and not "How do I setup a metro e from scratch?"

Ok, the books and docs that I've read over the last couple of years that
I recommend highly (given that I don't know exactly what type of info
you are looking for):

http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=1587050412
http://www.amazon.com/Router-Security-Strategies-Securing-Network/dp/1587053365

...and the mandatory ones:

- http://www.armware.dk/RFC/bcp/bcp38.html
- http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-opsec-blackhole-urpf-04

Steve

ps. I'm truly sorry, Richey. I apologize to you, and everyone on this list.