[c-nsp] Cisco TAC issues - can someone from Cisco enlighten me on this?

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Mon Sep 21 03:39:33 EDT 2009

On Monday 21 September 2009 12:58:05 pm Justin M. Streiner
wrote:

> I've run into this in the past with different vendors,
> even on occasions when the most frequently needed
> information ("show tech", "request tech-support", etc...)
> is attached to the support case before it gets assigned
> to an engineer.  A response like the one that was
> previously posted indicates that the engineer who handled
> the case failed to look at those attachments, wasting
> time and effort on both sides.

Same here; and we've seen this both for Cisco and other
vendors.

We spend the time to post the usual details support
engineers would need when we first submit the case, i.e.:

	o software version
	o platform type/model
	o status before issue
	o status during issue
	o mitigating actions taken to resolve issue
	o current status
	o any changes that could be impacting
	o how badly the network is affected
	o what the impact may mean for business
	o e.t.c.

... and then we get back a list of questions asking us the
very things we've submitted. Many times, I've sent back an
e-mail to the support engineers asking them to read my
submission and then come back to me - and it works, although
I'd rather not waste time doing that.

Given how difficult dealing with TAC(s) can be via e-mail,
we've never engaged them on phone, unless when they call us
to run labs, fortunately or otherwise.

It could be a lot better...

Cheers,

Mark.