[c-nsp] 6500 - stateful failover, reason?

Matlock, Kenneth L MatlockK at exempla.org
Tue Sep 22 15:06:07 EDT 2009

Those log messages are spurious.

When a supervisor comes online a lot of things are in an 'unknown' state
by the backup (soon to be primary) supervisor. When it initializes as
the Active, it checks the status of everything such as power supplies.
What you're seeing is just the supervisor 'finding' all the gear it's
now responsible for, and marking the current status.

A 'show ver' will show you three things.

"CAT6509SJHSS1 uptime is 1 year, 33 weeks, 2 days, 23 hours, 50 minutes"

Shows that the chassis has had at least 1 active supervisor for 1 year,
33 week.

"Time since CAT6509SJHSS1 switched to active is 2 weeks, 6 days, 9
hours, 40 minutes"

That shows the current supervisor has been the active for 2 weeks, 6
days.

"System returned to ROM by Stateful Switchover (SP by power on)"

That shows the reason for the last switchover (in this case we had to
switch to the standby sup because of a nasty memory leak, caused by...
'show run'.

Ken Matlock
Network Analyst
Exempla Healthcare