[c-nsp] Inter-AS L2VPN redundancy, option B (Ruzhanskaya Olga)

Ольга Ружанская frosya84 at mail.ru
Wed Sep 23 04:10:53 EDT 2009

Hello List!

My company is working on building Inter-AS VPN connection with other provider (both using MPLS).
After researching on different option we've decided to use Option B (single-hop MP-EBGP).
The only way to build l2vpn for option B is to use point-to-point VFI on ASBRs:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/mpls/configuration/guide/mp_l2vpn_pseudo_swit_ps6922_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html#wp1059907

We've found information how to build redundant schemes for L3VPN, but redundancy for l2vpn is a problem..
If we have the following topology (2 ASBRs in one AS with connections to 1 ASBR in other AS):
ASBR2(AS2)

ASBR1(AS1)

ASBR3(AS2)
is it possible to build a redundant l2vpn?

As I understand, to use L2VPN Pseudowire Redundancy, we need directed control protocol between the peer routers, and there is no such protocol (LDP, for example) in nature of option B.
But maybe someone have already decided such question?

I will be very glad for any suggestions/documents(it is so little information about inter-as l2!)

Best regards,
Olga