[c-nsp] Download manager hell and latest Windows VPN Client?

Nick Hilliard nick at inex.ie
Thu Sep 24 05:04:02 EDT 2009

On 24/09/2009 08:38, Gert Doering wrote:
> Fill in a web form once, claim "yes, I'm no terrorist!", and then the
> FTP servers put you into a "he's no terrorist, may download crypto
> software" group...
>
> This is really "Internet 0.9" knowledge.

Gert,

You're ignoring the possibility that people change over time.  What if a
person was a regular joe soap on the day that they filled out this web
form, but had become a terrorist within a short period of time?  How would
your single form proposal cope with this, pray tell?  Filling in the
terrorism / nuclear arms shipment / bioweapons form each time is designed
precisely to deal with smart alecs who think that they can get around arms
embargoes like this.

Nick