[c-nsp] STP and RSTP interaction

Holemans Wim wim.holemans at ua.ac.be
Thu Sep 24 05:33:50 EDT 2009

Until now we used standard STP in our network with changed diameter
parameters (diameters of 10,11,..)

We plan to migrate to RSTP and as far as I tell from reading about it,
this should be no problem if we start changing from the outside into the
core.

I now have to add a new part to our network and in this part I already
enabled RSTP. I'm still hesitating to couple both networks as I don't
have an idea how the RSTP part will interfere with the diameter of the
existing network. If I'm right the 'coupling' interface of the new
network will work in STP mode and the rest of the new network in RSTP.
How does do I count this new network when calculating the new diameter ?
Just as 1 switch ? Or do I count the full topology ? Anyone has done
this before and can comment on this ? Other suggestions, experiences
with the migration from STP to RSTP that may help ?

Greeting,

Wim Holemans

Network Services University of  Antwerp