[c-nsp] Download manager hell and latest Windows VPN Client?

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Thu Sep 24 11:51:00 EDT 2009

Justin M. Streiner wrote:
> My main argument against the download manager applet is that I hate
> dealing with several layers of dependency hell with Java.  Does the
> download manager work with the Java plugin in my web browser when that
> plugin is based on different JRE versions?  Also, there seems to be this
> movement by some vendors to replace simple processes (an HTTP or FTP
> download) with something bulkier, like a Java applet, presumably because
> it looks prettier.  Putting my business hat on for a second, I don't
> understand the value proposition.

I've been in situations where I had to download an IOS image with the el
cheapo browser in my data phone that does not have Java support, save it
to the MicroSD card and then use a card reader to transfer that to my
laptop so I could fix a critical network issue.  Java isn't a universal
way of leveling the playing field.  It's the bastion of lazy programmers
and buzzword-loving PHBs.

Justin