[c-nsp] EoMPLS v L2TPv3

David Freedman david.freedman at uk.clara.net
Fri Sep 25 07:03:01 EDT 2009

Wow, this is actually a tricky question, so I'll jot down some points
for you to think about from the top of my head (and anybody, please feel
free to correct these if they are wrong, they may be out of date)

EoMPLS:

 - Requires end-to-end MPLS LSP
 - Does not support path fragmentation (need wider MTU end-to-end)
 - Hardware support good
 - OAM available
 - Closer ties with MPLS-TE
 - some vendors have attachment circuit interworking
 - some hardware vendors may not be happy about attachment circuit MTU
mismatch

L2TPv3:

 - Only requires IP (but has some rudimentary security (Cookie))
 - "Path" Can be encrypted by IPSEC (this is actually a moot point, even
in a world where stuff like draft-raggarwa-mpls-ipsec wasn't
implemented, you can still encrypt the payloads of both technologies)
 - Not well supported in hardware, lots of restrictions
 - interworking support in hardware poor
 - lack of proper OAM

Dave.