[c-nsp] Cisco config traps generated at wrong time?

Brandon Ewing nicotine at warningg.com
Mon Sep 28 15:48:47 EDT 2009

Greetings,

Weird issue.  I'm investigating utilizing Cisco's SNMP trap generation to
trigger RANCID runs against specific routers.  In my initial testing, I am
able to get the routers to generate traps, but according to the
documentation, it appears to be generating the traps at the wrong time.

The config trap is generated immediately after I issue "conf t" from the
CLI, before I actually make any changes or exit configuration mode.
According to the MIB browser, this is incorrect:

(from
http://tools.cisco.com/Support/SNMP/do/BrowseOID.do?local=en&translate=Translate&objectInput=1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.43.2.0.2)

If the managed system supports a separate
configuration mode(where the configuration commands
are entered under a configuration session which
affects the running configuration of the system),
then this notification is sent when the configuration
mode is exited.

I have noticed this on 12.2(33) SXI1, and in a dynamips lab running
12.4(25a).  Searches of the bug toolkit didn't turn up anything.  Has anyone
else gotten this to work as intended on any other version of IOS?

My fallback will be to utilize syslogging, as it generates the log entries
on exit instead of enter.

--
Brandon Ewing                                        (nicotine at warningg.com)