[c-nsp] OT: Router//Switches Hardware inventory

Nick Hilliard nick at inex.ie
Tue Sep 29 18:50:44 EDT 2009

On 29/09/2009 23:23, omar parihuana wrote:
> Do you know an open source tool for router hardware inventory? I have many
> Cisco devices with many cards inserted, and manage the inventory via Excel
> Format is hard... please any suggestion?

RANCID (http://www.shrubbery.net/rancid/) will manage version control for
your router configurations, but at the top of each configuration file, it
will also attempt to do a semi-intelligent internal inventory of the
router, down to blade level.  The down-side is that the configuration is
stored in unstructured text.

If you want something which gives structured text, use "show inventory" on
your equipment.  The output of this command can be parsed, and if you're
running rancid or something similar which allows scripted access to your
kit, you can script this to provide structured lists of equipment.

Nick