[c-nsp] Best Practice - Downstream BGP Customer - Advertising Point to Point

Paul Stewart paul at paulstewart.org
Tue Apr 6 18:43:09 EDT 2010

Hi there...

I'm looking to see what best practice is or if folks do anything with /30's
that are used to feed downstream BGP customers?  What I mean specifically is
that we have a downstream customer who is requesting that our end of the /30
is only visible when layer2 is established.  The /30 is part of a larger
advertised block of course which means that it's pingable via other
providers in the case of a multihomed customer even if the BGP session
between us is down.

This particular downstream customer is multihomed and their monitoring
platform doesn't have the ability to handle BGP related trap events properly
at this time.  Their hope was that they could verify via a simple ping test
if connectivity was up, understanding that BGP could be down while their
interface is still up ...

What do other folks do for downstream customers?  Our answer in the past is
"it's not our problem" which is what we've seen from upstream providers in
the past hence why we moved to BGP traps for alarms...

Thanks,

Paul