[c-nsp] ISP Attack Discovery

Nick Voth nvoth at estreet.com
Wed Apr 7 12:58:20 EDT 2010

One of the most useful tools we use all the time is a packet sniffer.
Wireshark is great:

http://www.wireshark.org/

You would have to have a PC plugged in to a mirror port on your main switch
in order to see all the packets.

With the packet trace, you can get a good idea of who is sending the most
traffic and where it's going. After you have that info, you have to have a
firewall or switch/router ACL that can block the traffic. If it's a single
source IP, (or a handful), that will work well. If the attack is distributed
from hundreds or thousands of IP addresses, you really have to have a more
intelligent device/firewall that can do session limiting, etc. That gets
pretty complicated.

Hope that helps.

-Nick Voth