[c-nsp] Cisco out of stock?

Jeff Bacon bacon at walleyesoftware.com
Thu Apr 8 10:39:01 EDT 2010

Word I keep running across is that Cisco is basically out of everything
that matters:
- there are no 6503 or 6504 chassis to be had without significant
waiting - it took a month and change for my guy to find 2 6504s, and I'm
very tempted to swap out a pair of 6503s (which would be foolish on my
part really)
- there are 7 6524s in stock in the entire world
- if you need an AC power supply for said 6524, God help you (mine came
in from Germany)
- 4900s are still going like hotcakes when you can find them
- my VAR is literally custom-machining rack-mount brackets for a 6504-E
chassis for me because there are none to be purchased anywhere in the
world and Cisco says June minimum

OK so they've been caught unawares by the downturn/upturn, they cut back
on inventory and expected demand forecasts and now they're screwed, but
ye criminy!

Is this the normal experience out there nowadays?