[c-nsp] Cisco out of stock

Patrick Muldoon doon.bulk at inoc.net
Thu Apr 8 14:47:14 EDT 2010

On Apr 8, 2010, at 11:00 AM, Joel Snyder wrote:

>> Word I keep running across is that Cisco is basically out of everything
>> that matters:
>
> I have heard the same thing, but only in regard to ASA hardware.  A Cisco competitor sent me an email last week saying that they had won a big deal in part because Cisco screwed the pooch by being unable to provide gear in a timely manner.  Another, different, firewall competitor sent me a note three days ago wondering why no one in the tech press was covering the ASA shortage.  Finally, a customer told me last night that they were trying to buy an ASA but the seller (used) raised the price by 25% because of a shortage of used Cisco firewalls.

We've actually cancelled orders with cisco for 4948s(multiple)  (90 day lead time) and replaced them with another vendors switch (<2 week lead time).   We've had similar long lead times quoted on the ASA's  as well.  Something like 20-70 business days.  I thought to myself, dang wish I could estimate my  delivery time like that.   Your code will be ready sometime in the next 1-3 months :)  You can hope for a month, but figure on 3 ....

-Patrick

--
Patrick Muldoon
Network/Software Engineer

Fix a computer and it'll break tomorrow.
Teach its owner to fix it and it'll break in some way you've never seen before.