[c-nsp] ASR 1002 vs ISR 3945

Guillaume FORTAINE gfortaine at live.com
Thu Apr 8 17:07:17 EDT 2010

http://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://www.loud-fat-bloke.co.uk/obeseus2.pdf

The other problem these commercial tools is their fixation with flows as
a means of
rationalising the measurement of traffic. I think this derived from the
use of netflow and
s-flow, which are a means of accounting. It superimposes the concept of
a bi-direction of
flow onto two independent transmissions between two peers. These
Netflow/S-flow
records are ideal for the billing accounting purposes for which they
were designed and as
they are available “free of charge” is a great convenient source of data
but there are
drawbacks. These are:
▪ They are sampled over relatively large time periods;
▪ The records have few fields which restricts attack analysis
▪ Converting data to flows loses information & increases reaction time
▪ The processing is not real-time