[c-nsp] Weird Frame-relay / L3 connectivity problem

Kenny Sallee kenny.sallee at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 00:49:32 EDT 2010

So - I'm having a problem w/ an MPLS provider.  We have a Cisco 2851 w/
124-15.T12.bin on it.  Doing basic frame-relay to an MPLS cloud (just
frame-really encapsulation).  Router is running WCCP for WaaS, BGP routing,
some NAT stuff...

Here's the problem - over the last couple days - at random - we loose L3
connectivity ONLY - can't ping, telnet, BGP drops etc...  Debug serial
interface and debug frame lmi are all normal - no CRC's, clocking is set
correctly, cabling is all good.  Debug IP packet shows IP traffic leaving
the interface to the MPLS provider.  I've tried to remove WCCP, disable CEF
(ya never know), remove IP on the interface and add it back...Provider
looped to their smartjack onsite - ran clean.  I even ran across this post -
which sounded exactly like my problem:
http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1181267&page=1 <-- tried that
didn't work.

Here's the weird part - the MPLS provider fixes it by removing the interface
/ vrf config on their side and adding it back!  This has happened 3-4 times
over the last couple of days.  The provider side router is a Cisco router -
not sure on model or version of code.

Has anyone seen ANYTHING like this?  Any ideas on what to look for?  So far
our customer has been pretty pissed off so priority has been on bringing the
interface back up (which means only a little time to troubleshoot).

Thanks for any input or ideas
Kenny