[c-nsp] BGP Multi-homing

Tim Vollebregt t.vollebregt at leaseweb.com
Tue Apr 13 07:44:54 EDT 2010

Hi Bob,

There are a lot of configuration options to do this.

A simple solution for this, hereby I assume that your secondary neighbor is accepting (default) bgp communities.

Primary neighbor (default route): 1.1.1.1 AS10
Secondary neighbor (full table): 2.2.2.2 AS20
Local AS: AS30
Local prefixes: 3.3.3.0/24 and 4.4.4.0/24

Create as-path acl:
ip as-path access-list 2 permit _20$

Create no-export access-list (specify your local/customer prefixes here):

ip prefix-list no-export seq 1 permit 3.3.3.0/24
ip prefix-list no-export seq 2 permit 4.4.4.0/24
ip prefix-list no-export seq 10 deny 0.0.0.0/0 le 32

Create route-maps:
--inbound--
route-map secondary-in permit 5
match as-path 2
set localpref 105
route-map secondary-in permit 10
set localpref 80

--outbound--
route-map secondary-out permit 5
match ip address prefix-list no-export
set community no-export additive
You don't have to change anything in the configuration of your primary neighbor, only put the in and outbound route-maps on the bgp session:

Router bgp 30
Address-family ipv4
Neighbor 2.2.2.2 send-community
Neighbor 2.2.2.2 route-map secondary-in in
Neighbor 2.2.2.2 route-map secondary-out out

Please make sure you also have an normal outbound prefix list on the session.

If your secondary neighbor has a lot of 'local' routes which you want to send traffic to, but these routes are not originated from AS20. You should ask them if they can specify a customer bgp community. Afterwards you can match that community in the inbound route-map and set a localpref of 100+ to it.

Regards,

Tim