[c-nsp] Available bandwidth less than actual link speed - QoS on 4500 Sup6e

Tom Lusty TLusty at csnstores.com
Thu Apr 15 09:44:16 EDT 2010

Hello,

We have a Metro Ethernet connection that has an available bandwidth that is below the link speed on that interface; 500Mbps available, plugged into a 1Gb port.  We had this working on our old 3750s but we just migrated to a 4500 with a Sup6e, and I can't seem to find a definitive answer on how to do this.  On the 3750 it was as easy as applying the "srr-queue bandwidth limit 50" command to the desired interface.  From my reading I could pull it off by policing/shaping everything in the policy so that cumulatively it would get up to 500Mbps, but this seems like a ton of work for something that shouldn't (or at least wasn't) so much work previously.  So there has to be another method/command that I've overlooked.

I did look at the interface bandwidth command, but from my reading this command is just used to set the bandwidth for routing protocol calculations.  It would be great if it did more than that but I didn't find anything definitive.

 Cliffs:
Migrated from 3750s, where we used the "srr-queue bandwidth limit 50" command so QoS would function properly.  What is the equivalent command on the 4500 Sup6e?

Thanks!
-Tom Lusty