[c-nsp] 3750X?

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sun Apr 18 09:17:21 EDT 2010

On Thursday 15 April 2010 07:54:13 pm Anton Kapela wrote:

> Also, cer2k has 512k v4 tcam entries, dual ac/dc,
>  consumes 1u of space, draws under 300 watts, and
>  actually has working bgp/vpls/etc *today* -- not
>  "somewhere over the me3400G rainbow."

I had a chance to beat these boxes a fair bit toward the end
of last year, during our consideration for platforms that
will let us extend MPLS into the Access.

While they are formidable (Cisco's ME3400 is pretty useless
for MPLS in the Access, their 3750ME lacks Gig-E + Jumbo
frames on customer facing ports, e.t.c., Juniper's EX-series
boxes are pretty useless in this field too, and the MX80 is
worthy but too pricey/big), there's a number of issues that
still need sorting out (some may, some may never).

While I can't get into the specifics of these limitations
(NDA, blah blah), you'll definitely be chasing the code for
at least another couple of years to reach parity with the
rest of your network.

Hot on my list: IPv6 is currently not supported, but is
roadmapped for the future (feature by feature, of course).

All that said, in all honesty, if you can live with the
limitations or workaround them, there currently isn't a
better product in the market that offers 48-port tri-rate
copper, fibre-based Gig-E/10-Gig-E connections with
"acceptable" MPLS support, especially if you're considering
just EoMPLS and VPLS. And coming from me, that's probably
saying much :-)...

Cheers,

Mark.