[c-nsp] BGP peer groups / performance question

Paul Stewart paul at paulstewart.org
Mon Apr 19 22:02:34 EDT 2010

Hi folks..

Has anyone studied how much faster BGP peer groups are on very loaded
routers?  I have a customer that I'm doing work with currently that has
about 300 BGP peers on a Sup720/7613 box.  Downstream customers take about
10 minutes to receive a full routing table.

I'm used to seeing this in under 2 minutes normally - a Cisco doc recommends
moving to BGP peer groups which is quite possible to do but before starting
to migrate these sessions into peer groups I wanted to find out if there's a
major change I should be looking for or something quite minor...?

Thanks,

Paul