[c-nsp] USB to Serial Converter recommendation

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Wed Apr 21 05:12:43 EDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-04-21 at 10:15 +0200, Youssef Bengelloun-Zahr wrote:
> Could anyone recommend a USB to Serial Converter that :
>
> - is compatible Mac OS X,
> - is compatible with minicom (or else),
> *- knows how to send breaks (the must have feature),*
>
> I have been stuck with this model that doesn't know how to end breaks,
> useless :
>
> http://www.trendnet.com/products/proddetail.asp?prod=150_TU-S9&cat=49
>
> I have been googling around but manufacturers documentations are very
> detailed about their products' capabilities.

According to some quick googling it uses the PL2303 chip. We use those a
lot (others brands though) on Linux. We can send breaks through minicom
without problems. (Just tested on a 828.)

We seem to have problems making the small Catalyst switches understand
breaks though (3560/3750). Could that be related to your problem?

--
Peter