[c-nsp] OT: Backup Software

Ziv Leyes zivl at gilat.net
Wed Apr 21 09:34:34 EDT 2010

Hi all,
I'm in search for a good centralized unified backup system for all our devices.
If I said I have cisco devices you'd all probably say rancid, but I have several different types of devices I need to backup and the way I access them varies from one to another.
So far we've been working with Kiwi and JasFTP, but I find them rather limited, perhaps I should take a look on their last versions.
My problem is not with Cisco or Linux devices which they all can be accessed and backed up quite easily.
I have some dumb devices that all they can do is to receive a command to copy their config via tftp to a remote server, nothing is wrong with that, the problem is this kind of backup is a "passive" task, I send the command to the device and I just wait for it to tftp to me, but what if the device fails to upload or uploads only a part of the file?
I would like a more "proactive" system, one that can alert on this kind of failures.
I'll like you to share your experiences and suggestions. It can be either commercial or freeware software.
Thanks in advance,
Ziv