[c-nsp] DMVPN scalability question on the 28XX ISR's

Luan Nguyen luan at netcraftsmen.net
Wed Apr 21 09:35:37 EDT 2010

Like someone else said, if you don't have to run dynamic routing protocol,
then ODR or static would do wonder.  In this case, a dual hub
(loadshare/backup) for 1000+ spokes would be just fine.
With EIGRP, you could safely do 500+ spokes per ASR.  A few years back,
either Cisco did some tests and found that only a few...2,3 nodes fail when
they tried to bring up 500 tunnels at the same time on 7206VXR platform if I
recall correctly.
I've done 300+ spokes EIGRP on a 7206VXR before and never had any problem.

A 2851 with SSL-2 VPN card could push ~35M of DMVPN/IPSEC traffic.  Of
course, if you do QOS, Zone Based Firewall...etc, any additional feature,
then performance will degrade a lot.

What kind of software do you folks use to provision/manage bigger size
DMVPN? Way back, I used Cisco IP Solution Center.

-Luan