[c-nsp] OT: Backup Software

Eric Van Tol eric at atlantech.net
Thu Apr 22 06:35:11 EDT 2010

I strongly suggest Solarwinds Orion Network Configuration Manager.  We've used it for years and it offers more than configuration backups.  You can run reports on failed logins, run policy reports to ensure your configs adhere to a certain policy, and do real time configuration change notification.  Just about *anything* that can be SSH'd or telnet'd to can be managed by NCM.  It can even handle some menu-based devices.

On the other hand, they have another package called Kiwi CatTools which mainly just backs up configurations.  You mentioned you've tried this, though, but I'd at least check out their latest version to see if it resolves the problems you were experiencing.

My .02.

-evt

Disclaimer: I have no financial stake in Solarwinds.  Just a satisfied customer.