[c-nsp] IOS 15.1 and 'inspect' rule (zone-based firewall)

Ivan Poddubnyy ivan_poddubnyy at symantec.com
Thu Apr 22 19:07:04 EDT 2010

Arie,

No, it didn't work as expected.

However, I got it working by adding another class-map and modifying
existing class-map.

Here how it looks now:
------------------------------
parameter-map type inspect audit
  audit-trail on
  alert off
class-map type inspect match-any cls_ip_protocols
  match protocol icmp
  match_protocol tcp
  match protocol udp
class-map type inspect match-all cls_10.0.128.0
  match access-group name acl_10.0.128.0
  match class-map cls_ip_protocols
policy-map type inspect pol-OutsideToDMZ
  class type inspect cls_10.0.128.0
   inspect audit
  class class-default
   drop log
ip access-list extended acl_10.0.128.0
  permit ip 10.0.128.0 0.0.15.255 10.0.80.0 0.0.0.255
--------------

The new class-map fixes it.

BTW, what Brian suggested in his reply partially answered the question.
I read the document, but there's an example there that has only ACL
applied to the policy-map (thus, like in my case, it'll generate "all
packets will be dropped" message). I'm talking about the example after
this line in the document:

"By contrast, a similar configuration that adds application-specific
classes provides more granular application statistics and control, and
still accommodates the same breadth of services that was shown in the
first example by defining the last-chance class-map matching only the
ACL as the last chance in the policy-map:"

Anyways, the problem seems to be resolved. Thank you!

--
Ivan Poddubnyy
Sr. Systems Administrator