[c-nsp] MPLS over VLAN

Jeff Bacon bacon at walleyesoftware.com
Mon Apr 26 07:57:57 EDT 2010

Stupid question I'm sure -

Can you do tag switching over a dot1q trunk via a SVI on a 6500? (Sup720)

I want to switch to a MPLS VPN infra from my current mesh of dot1q trunks, but would really prefer to avoid the big-bang switch approach, even if that entails certain levels of ugliness in the transition. MTU on the wan links (gig pipes, mostly wave/fiber) is big enough to handle the tagged/labeled packet.

It's mostly straight MPLS VPN, not EoMPLS - maybe on a rare occasion.

Otherwise I get to do GRE tunnels - bleah.