[c-nsp] Unusual outage scenario

Rick Coloccia coloccia at geneseo.edu
Mon Apr 26 11:54:27 EDT 2010

Hi Everyone,

First, thanks to everyone on this list for their great help - there are
lots of very experienced folks out here who share vast amounts of
knowledge.

OK, to my strange and unique issue:

Customer router is a Cisco 7304 running 12.2(33)SB7.  ISP router is an
Alcatel Service Router (Make and model are unknown, so I can't share them.)

Twice in 5 weeks the exact same thing has happened:

This appears in customer router logs:

Apr 25 22:06:54 router 1620: Apr 25 22:06:48 EDT: %BGP-5-ADJCHANGE:
neighbor x.x.x.x Down BGP Notification sent
Apr 25 22:06:54 router 1621: Apr 25 22:06:48 EDT: %BGP-3-NOTIFICATION:
sent to neighbor x.x.x.x 4/0 (hold time expired) 0 bytes
Apr 25 22:06:55 router 1622: Apr 25 22:06:48 EDT:
%BGP_SESSION-5-ADJCHANGE: neighbor x.x.x.x IPv4 Unicast topology base
removed from session  BGP Notification sent

And as of that moment, customer router is no longer able to ping x.x.x.x.

The relevant interface on the customer router is g2.  It is a copper
interface connected to a mux, which connects to single mode fiber that
ultimately lands in the ISPs MPLS network.  At the far end of the MPLS
network somewhere is the Alcatel, connected with ip address x.x.x.x.

Naturally, once the BGP session drops, all traffic stops passing.

When I connect to the customer router, and issue the "shut" and then "no
shut" commands to g2, the router is suddenly again able to ping x.x.x.x
and the bgp session subsequently restores itself.

What sort of issue may be going on such that the solution to this outage
is to issue "shut" and "no shut" on g2 on the customer router?

The customer router is never showing g2 going down as the mux connected
to the router never does go down.

I suspect something is happening in the MPLS network at the beginning of
the outage, but I can't understand why a "shut" and "no shut" is brining
everything back to life.

Does anyone have an insight into this that I can use to prevent this
from happening a third time?

Thanks in advance!

-Rick

--
Rick Coloccia, Jr.
Network Manager

CIT will never ask for your password or other confidential information via email.