[c-nsp] Using EoMPLS where you'd normally use a VLAN

Jason Lixfeld jason at lixfeld.ca
Mon Apr 26 18:50:08 EDT 2010

I'm wondering if I can use EoMPLS in a situation where I'd normally use a VLAN.

For example, in a VLAN centric network, I'd have a node connected to an access port on switch 1.  Switch 1 would be connected directly to switch 2 over an appropriately configured 802.1q trunk port or access port.  I'd assign an IP to an SVI on switch 2 and as long as the SVI had the same VLAN identifier as the access port on switch 1, I could pass traffic between the SVI on switch 2 and the node connected to the access port on switch 1.

Is there an equivalent to this in EoMPLS land where I could do the same thing using two devices that were both acting as P+PE devices?  I know that normally you can't assign an IP address on an interface that is also configured with an xconnect, but I'm wondering if there's a feature out there somewhere that could make this sort of thing possible.