[c-nsp] traffic shape on 87x/88x/18xx SVI interfaces

Shimol Shah shimshah at cisco.com
Tue Apr 27 10:24:50 EDT 2010

GTS is the old way of doing Qos. It is not supported in the CEF path.
MQC is the new and recommended way. With GTS if you do "sh cef int <>"
you will see something like below

DUT#sh run int g3/2
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 168 bytes
!
interface GigabitEthernet3/2
  ip address 192.168.3.1 255.255.255.0
  tag-switching ip
  traffic-shape rate 20000000 500000 500000 1000
  max-reserved-bandwidth 100
end

DUT#sh cef int g3/2 int
GigabitEthernet3/2 is up (if_number 7)
   Corresponding hwidb fast_if_number 7
   Corresponding hwidb firstsw->if_number 7
   Internet address is 192.168.3.1/24
   ICMP redirects are always sent
   IP unicast RPF check is disabled
   Inbound access list is not set
   Outbound access list is not set
   IP policy routing is disabled
   BGP based policy accounting is disabled
   Packets switched to this interface are dropped to the next slow path:
Traffic shaping

Notice the last line ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Without it you will see,

DUT#sh cef int g3/2 int
GigabitEthernet3/2 is up (if_number 7)
   Corresponding hwidb fast_if_number 7
   Corresponding hwidb firstsw->if_number 7
   Internet address is 192.168.3.1/24
   ICMP redirects are always sent
   IP unicast RPF check is disabled
   Inbound access list is not set
   Outbound access list is not set
   IP policy routing is disabled
   BGP based policy accounting is disabled
   Hardware idb is GigabitEthernet3/2 (7)
   Software idb is GigabitEthernet3/2 (7)
   Fast switching type 22, interface type 141
   IP CEF switching enabled
   IP Fast switching turbo vector
   IP CEF switching with tag imposition turbo vector
   Input fast flags 0x0, Output fast flags 0x0
   ifindex 4(4)
   Slot 3 Slot unit 2 VC -1
   Transmit limit accumulator 0x0 (0x0)
   IP MTU 1500