[c-nsp] nexus 5xx vpc peer keepalives

Tony Varriale tvarriale at comcast.net
Fri Apr 30 22:30:10 EDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "scott owens" <scottowens12 at gmail.com>
To: <cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net>
Sent: Friday, April 30, 2010 5:35 PM
Subject: [c-nsp] nexus 5xx vpc peer keepalives

> Tony,
>
> Read this as well ( it talks about NOT using the mgmt0 for peer keep
> alives
> ) - we are trying this too
>
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/layer2/Cisco_Nexus_5000_Series_NX-OS__chapter8.html
>
> After figure 6, step 3 there is this text ;
> Note
> VLAN 900 must not be trunked across the vPC peer-link because it carries
> the vPC
> peer-keepalive messages. There must be an alternative path between
> switches NX-5000-1 and
> NX-5000-2 for the vPC peer-keepalive messages.
>
> The problem we are encountering is that if we drop the peer vlan from
> the 5k to 5k link then we get weird errors as well.
>

> I will STRONGLY suggest that you test any possible failure scenario that
> you
> can think of.
> Are you using the 5Ks/ FEXs in dual homed fashion ?
>
> I have an open case with Cisco on the use of

It's possible you may have read this incorrectly?

The keep alive link should never been in the same VRF as your default VRF.
Therefore, it should never be going across your peer link.

Also, the linked document talks about using mgmt0.

"We recommend that you configure the vPC peer-keepalive link on the Cisco
Nexus 5000 Series switch to run in the management VRF using the mgmt 0
interfaces. If you configure the default VRF, ensure that the vPC peer link
is not used to carry the vPC peer-keepalive messages."

Try not to over complicate this.  It's really simple actually...and it works
well.

tv