[c-nsp] process-max-time on a 6500 w/ SUP-720-3BXL

James Kelty jkelty at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 12:17:26 EDT 2010

Hello all,

I have a 6509 w/ SUP-720-3BXL. There is nothing truly crazy going on here,
just 4 transit provider BGP sessions over 10 gig links w/ full routing
tables. I have policing in place to allow for the BGP convergence when a
provider comes up or needs to re-converge for whatever reason. I've noticed
some some SNMP gets via a 10G MPLS WAN link will get...missed. They timeout,
in other words, during a convergence. The CLI slows since the convergence
takes 99% of the CPU.

I'm wondering if setting the 'process-max-time' will assist with that? If I
set it too low, will that make the BGP convergence take longer as well and
will it speed up my CLI some?

Thanks!

-James

--