[c-nsp] Cisco3750 %AAA-3-BADMETHOD

Chris Lane clane1875 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 08:07:16 EDT 2010

All,

Running a C3750 48TS on 12.2(35)SE2 . Used very simple AAA method for
authentication with radius, 4 lines of AAA.
Happened to log into router today only to notice that i can't configure
device, my credentials don't match and i have this in the log

%AAA-3-BADMETHOD

This entry is on AUG 2nd, and the last NVRAM change was done on July29th -
and it was simple vlan addition.
The most alarming problem was when i did a SHOW RUN, there were almost 20
AAA commands that myself or the 29th UPDATED CONFIG did not add.
On Aug 2nd the log does not show any user access just the above with a bunch
of memory dumps, as it appears. Unfortunately i did not grab the LOG itself.
ugg.

Issue, i figured by rebooting the last NVRAM change on JULY 29th i would
regain my original config from the 29th and remove these randomly issued
commands. This is a remote router fyi:
router did not respond well to reload and did not come back.  Oh and on
reboot i did NOT save changes to Config preserving July 29th NVRAM change.

Has anyone Seen such wierd oddity?

I have to repeat, the logs do not indicate user Access to the box, which the
box does log, on Aug 2nd, just the above error with 2 full log lines full of
what appears to be a memory dump of some sort.

And lastly Cisco's website shows this for the Above error:

AAA-3-BADMETHOD : Cannot process [chars] method [int]

Explanation    A method list function has encountered a method list that was
unknown or that could not be processed.

Recommended Action    Copy the error message exactly as it appears on the
console or in the system log, contact your Cisco technical support
representative, and provide the representative with the gathered
information.

Wow, thats helpful  ;-)

Much regards

Chris