[c-nsp] Nexus1000v: Mgmt Port

Christina Klam cklam at ias.edu
Wed Aug 4 09:06:25 EDT 2010

Hello,

I am setting up a pair of Nexus 1000v switches.   As per the Cisco
documentation, I have the management port in my system-uplink
port-group.  However, currently, this management port is in the same
production VLAN as most of our servers.  I would rather have the
management in an separate VLAN for security and reliability reasons.
Also, as I cannot assign a VLAN to both the system-uplink and the
data-uplink port-group, this means all of the server traffic will be
using the system-uplink port-group.  This does not sound logical.

My question is:
1.  Does the management port have to be in the same VLAN as the VM Host
server?
2.  If is does, what are the implications of putting the management port
on the data-uplink port-group?
3.  OR, if (1) is YES, then what do you think about putting the VM Hosts
(ESXI) on a separate VLAN than the virtual servers?

Thank you for your help,

-- Christina