[c-nsp] Forwarding bandwidth vs. Switching bandwidth

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Wed Aug 4 16:06:21 EDT 2010

On 04/08/2010 19:11, Brian Landers wrote:
> Need some help deciphering Cisco marketing-speak.   In the data sheet
> for the Catalyst 2960S, they list:
>
>   Forwarding Bandwidth
>   88 Gbps
>   20 Gbps for FlexStack Stacking
>
>   Switching Bandwidth
>   176 Gbps

88Gbps forwarding bandwidth full duplex == 176Gbps bandwidth half duplex.
I.e. it will switch in both directions at the same time.  I always buy
switches which operate in both directions at the same time.  Don't you?

The 20Gbps flexstack bandwidth refers to the dual 10G stacking ports.  If
you google for "flexstack 2960", the first entry is a white paper on how
2960S FlexStack works.  It notes mid-way down: "The FlexStack links are
full duplex 10Gbps Ethernet links".

> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6406/white_paper_c11-578928.html

Nick