[c-nsp] 10GBase-LX4 and OM2 fibre -- MCP?

Cisco NSP c-nsp at djvh.nl
Wed Aug 4 16:21:23 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I'm not very fibre-savvy, so if anybody could help me, I'd very much
appreciate it!

I have two Cisco 6500s about 250 meters apart in two separate buildings.
Between those two buildings I have OM2 grade fibre. and both Cisco have an
10GBase-LX4 X2 interface.

When I measure the fibre end-to-end it has about 1,9dB attenuation in the
1300nm spectrum but when I connect the fibre to the interface, I don't get
link-up.
A little troubleshooting pointed me to mode conditioning patches (a piece of
SM and MM welded together) but I find it very hard to believe that this
patch will solve my problem.

Before I invest 800$ for 2 patch-fibers, Is this the way I should go, or am
I overlooking anything?

Thanks in advance,
Dirk-Jan van Helmond