[c-nsp] 3560G-48 - Getting close to port capacity

John Elliot johnelliot67 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 4 18:48:48 EDT 2010

Hi,

We have 3560G-48's running at remote DataCentres(Connecting to 7200's via PortChan) - We interconnect to clients in these remote DC's via eth. At one DC, the 3560 is getting close to running out of ports(~8 remaining) - Simplest solution is for us to purchase another 3560G, run a portchan trunk to the 1st 3560G, and then when new clients connect we would need to add vlans to both switches...not ideal, but the only other option would be to upgrade to 3750's, and stack them?(3750's are nearly double the price though!).

Are there any other alternatives that we should be looking at?(Given a limited budget)

Note - the 3560's are only performing L2 - Our 7200's are doing L3/BGP/MPLS/LNS duties, and we exceed the vlan limitation on 2960's.

We also considered potentially migrating to a collapsed core/dist layer(Using 4500? No idea on price, and then we run into redundancy probs?), with 3560's hanging of this switch as access layer.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.