[c-nsp] 10GBase-LX4 and OM2 fibre -- MCP?

Mack McBride mack.mcbride at viawest.com
Wed Aug 4 18:30:02 EDT 2010

The literature for the 6708 blade lists the X2-10GB-LX4 as an option for the 6500.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/solutions/collateral/ns340/ns517/ns224/ns668/net_business_benefit0900aecd80534918.html

The release notes also list it as supported.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/release/notes/hardware.html#wp3051725

Unfortunately the IOS lists it as unsupported (SXH5 code).
Different code may list it differently.

You may be able to get it working by using 'service unsupported-transceiver' command.
I have not tried that.

Your receive power is fine on the link indicating the fiber is fine.
The modal bandwidth may not be sufficient for the distance or dispersion may be excessive for 10G as well.
You will need to do additional testing to determine that.

But my suspicion is less than full support for the LX4 transceiver in the code train.

The LRM may provide the support you need but is not specifically listed in the supported list.
I suspect it may have the same issue.
I have not tried those modules.

You may also want to investigate FN62840. Some models don't work right.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/ts/fn/misc/FN62840.html

I am not sure if the documentation is inaccurate but our customers have run into this problem and the
solution was switching to LR type modules.

Your distance is too long for regular SR modules.

Mack