[c-nsp] quick VTP question.

Holger hl at r-kom.de
Thu Aug 5 03:57:44 EDT 2010

On 04.08.10 17:09, Troy Beisigl wrote:
> After reading up on VTP server configurations at Cisco, I wanted to
> get someone's real life experience sign off on this.
>
> Cisco docs state that you can have more than one VTP server in a VTP
> domain and that updates on one will update the other and vise versa.
> My concern is that I have two switches that are in different domains
> and going to migrate one of them onto the same domain as the other.
> How will this affect the VLAN information?
>
> If I have both configured
> with the exact same VLANs and VLAN names, will this prevent a total
> loss of VLAN data in one or both of these switches?

The switch with higher config revision will overwrite the config
of the other.

Manually add vlans of one switch to the config of the second switch.
Change the mode of the first switch to transparent and then back to server.
This will set revision to zero and thus copy the config from the second
switch to the first one.

> Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Troy

- Holger