[c-nsp] mpls route target export question

David Freedman david.freedman at uk.clara.net
Thu Aug 5 10:29:04 EDT 2010

We generally do one RD, RT per VRF, same RD across multiple PEs the VRF
is configured (extended import/export policies aside)

We also attach standard communities to VRF prefixes (yes, astonishing
thing to do) since our standard community scheme does all the stuff like
identifying the originating router/site/customer/routing policy etc..

We currently use a system of route reflectors and have no issue where we
have multi-PE homed CE (other than where we do as-override where we set
SoO per PE)

would be interested on some expansion of oli's comments on convergence,
and why differing RDs for the same prefix would be a good thing (I'm
imagining perhaps if you want to do multipath then they are considered
multiple paths as opposed to simply just selecting one because RD is the
same?)

Dave.

Pshem Kowalczyk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 5 August 2010 15:48, Kenny Sallee <kenny.sallee at gmail.com> wrote:
> {cut}
>
>> I believe the route-target exported needs to be unique across the entire
>> routing domain (else you could have one customer import other customers
>> routes).  RD can be different per PE router - but I'm not sure why anyone
>> would want to do that.  If if someone does - can you share thoughts on that?
>>

> We use unique RDs per PE. In addition to all the reasons Olivier
> already stated you can use them for one more thing - identification of
> the device that originated the route (we use vrf+site+device for all
> our PEs).
>
> kind regards
> pshem

David Freedman