[c-nsp] mpls route target export question

Nick Chettle Nick.Chettle at sns.bskyb.com
Thu Aug 5 12:27:29 EDT 2010

Using multiple RD's is important for convergence when you are using route-reflectors as a route-reflector will only advertise the "best" BGP route to it's clients. If you use the same RD for a VPN across two (Or more) PE's then the route-reflector will see that route as the same and only pick the one it considers the best. If you use unique RD's the route-reflector will not consider the routes the same and will advertise both of them.

Taking this even further, you may also want to investigate the command "maximum-paths ibgp unequal-cost" which can be used to protect against route-reflector failure. For example, you could use "maximum-paths ibgp unequal-cost 2 import 4" to ensure your VRF's will import 4 BGP routes. If a route-reflector fails (I'm assuming there are 2 for this) you will still have the 2 routes in your VRF.

HTH

Nick