[c-nsp] Blocking IPv6 on WiSM?

Alexander Clouter alex at digriz.org.uk
Sat Aug 7 06:03:19 EDT 2010

Phil Mayers <p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk> wrote:

> I believe that various bits of the lightweight wireless are IPv4 only
> "under the hood" and will likely require a controller hardware update to
> make IPv6-aware. This is fine - annoying, but fine. What I really want
> to do in the meantime is block *ALL* ipv6 - i.e. drop ethertype 0x86dd.

No...at a Cisco IPv6 meeting over a year ago (I'm pretty sure you were
there too) Mr IPv6 in Cisco said sorry the WLC 4400[1] is effectively
dire and cannot do IPv6 filtering.  I then asked about MAC filtering to
do exactly as you are wanting...and they said...nope.

As far as I know the WLC 5500 runs effectively the same codebase, well
thats what the Cisco sales rep confessed to and gives you nothing better
than the 4400.

'Great'

Like us over at SOAS, you too will have to stare at all that IPv6
multicast traffic floating around, knowing that you cannot do anything
about it... :(

I would love to be wrong on this, so please someone correct me...

Cheers

[1] my understanding is that the WiSM ~= WLC

--
Alexander Clouter
.sigmonster says: I am looking for a honest man.